Skip to content

Military Diver Dies While Searching for Bodies of Missing People Who Died in Maldives Caves, Raising Death Toll to 6

A grueling deep-sea recovery operation in the Maldives has claimed the life of a military rescue diver, pushing the death toll of a catastrophic cave-diving accident to six and uniting two nations in profound grief.

The Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) confirmed that Staff Sergeant Mohamed Mahudhee, a dedicated member of the Coast Guard, died “suddenly” after falling ill during a high-stakes mission to retrieve the bodies of five Italian tourists who perished earlier this week.

A Mission Marred by Tragedy

The disaster began on Thursday, May 14, when a group of Italian divers failed to resurface after attempting to explore a treacherous underwater cave system in the Vaavu Atoll, located roughly 40 miles south of the capital city of Malé.

According to Italy’s foreign ministry, the group had descended to a perilous depth of 164 feet ($50\text{ meters}$) before tragedy struck.

While the MNDF deployed an elite eight-person dive team to recover the victims, the ocean proved unyielding. Amid worsening weather and rough seas, rescuers managed to pull just one body from the subterranean cavern. The remaining four victims are believed to still be trapped inside.

Related article  Columbo Star Peter Falk's Daughter Jacqueline Dies by Suicide at Age 60

It was during the grueling search for those remaining bodies that Mahudhee fell ill. He was rushed to a local hospital but could not be saved.

“His death goes to show the difficulty of the mission,” said Maldives presidential spokesman Mohammed Hussain Shareef, underscoring the extreme, unforgiving conditions facing the recovery teams.

A traditional funeral service for the fallen staff sergeant was held on Saturday, May 16, just hours after the MNDF released an official statement in Divehi honoring his sacrifice.

Academic Community in Mourning

As investigators work to piece together what went wrong at 164 feet below the surface, details have emerged about the five Italian nationals who lost their lives.

Related article  Dog the Bounty Hunter's grandson, 13, is shot dead by his own FATHER in heartbreaking tragedy

Among the victims were prominent members of the scientific community from the University of Genoa. Dr. Monica Montefalcone, an associate professor at the university, had traveled to the tropical archipelago for an official research trip. Joining her was Muriel Oddenino, a research fellow collaborating on the project, as well as Montefalcone’s daughter, Giorgia Sommacal, a biomedical engineering student, and Federico Gualtieri, a recent graduate.

University officials clarified to The New York Times that while the group was in the Maldives for academic work, the ill-fated excursion into the Vaavu Atoll caves was a recreational diving trip separate from their official “scientific mission.”

The fifth victim has been identified as Gianluca Benedetti, an experienced diving instructor who was with the group.

Shared Grief Across Oceans

The double tragedy has struck a deeply emotional chord in both Rome and Malé. In a statement obtained by The Sun, Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani expressed his deep sorrow, not only for his countrymen but for the Maldivian soldier who died trying to save them.

Related article  Vance Slams CBS Host Brennan For Trying To Smear Tulsi Gabbard

“These painful days for Italy are even worse after news that a courageous serviceman… died following an attempt to reach the bodies of our countrymen,” Tajani said. “This tragedy has united Italy and the Maldives in our sorrow and respect for the victims.”

Tajani vowed that the Italian government would do everything humanly possible to navigate the treacherous conditions and bring the bodies of the five victims home to their families. For now, however, the turbulent Indian Ocean holds both the victims and the answers to how a routine scientific excursion ended in an international tragedy.

Published inNEWS